Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Boat Christening

If you've ever spent any time around boats you probably know that 1) You should never confuse port with starboard 2) You never, ever call a line a rope and 3) You never, ever, ever leave a boat unchristened.

With that in mind, the whole family headed down to Alameda this past weekend for a boat christening party. Sail boats have been a part of my parents' lives since they taught themselves to sail on Lake Michigan many, many, many, many, many years ago (haha...just kidding, mom and dad...you're not that old ; ). Recently, they bought what will probably be their final sail boat. Their plan for it is that it would be a place where the whole family can gather, spend time and enjoy. Maybe even take it to Hawaii some day!

I can't take credit for this picture...it was my brother Jeff who took it.

So, we all gathered on the dock and it was with a hefty swing of the champagne bottle, the inevitable teasing by my brothers and the words, "I christen thee, Lady Kate," (corny, but necessary) the boat was officially ready to take to the seas.

(Once again, Jeff's picture).

This family has a thing with naming sail boats after the youngest child. It all started about 6 sail boats ago, before I was barely able to walk and David said, "We have a Katie and we have a cat...why don't we name it Katie Kat!" Pretty nonsensical, and it probably meant that in David's mind I was on the same level as the cat, but that's OK...I get boats named after me. ; )

The rest of the day was spent hanging out on the boat. Luke and I got to spend some quality time with our nephew and 6-week old niece. Fun times! : )

1 comment:

Eric said...

im going to miss you guys :-)